- What sounds interesting about this project?
|Pure caffeine powder. Caffeine can kill in large amounts.|
I have not previously heard about natural and artificial colourants present in food. I would like to know the difference between the two. Also, I am interested in the new chromatography method that we are using to identify the M&M colours.
|Sweets like M&Ms are often coloured using artificial colours.|
- What do you think you can learn from this project?
- The chemical structure of caffeine.
- How and why caffeine affects the human body.
- Possible implications of caffeine use
- The methods of extracting pure caffeine from drinks.
Extraction and Identification of Artificial Colours
- The difference between natural and artificial colours.
- The means to extract colours from food items.
- How to find r-f values on chromatograms.
- Any immediate questions regarding the project?